Thursday 23 August 2012

Why I will not read Matt Bissonette book

I am not sure anybody out there is interested, but I just want to make my point .

After I converted to Islam, I started to have problems with my family .
It was issues I hadn't seen coming, because of the way religion is lived, here in Italy .
True that very few are practicing Catholics, and even less know exactly what's being taught to them at schools and churches, but Catholicism is a sort of talisman, something each national is born with, without asking .
So cutting with it, for an Italian, often means also to cut with roots, a part of them at least .
It became so uncomfortable to live with my family, that I decided to move to the M.E.
There things unfolded also worse, because for how much one loves the culture, he or she will never be part of it .
And Islam is only a part of Arab culture, important but just a part .
There in the Gulf, I had the opportunity to challenge myself, to know different people, to appreciate other aspects of life .
But all in all, it was an awful adventure .
My local sponsor cheated me, a guy stole all my money, most of the people I thought to be friends, just turned their back, and I had to rush back home .
I had gone there with a bunch of money and dreams .
Had to go, also blacklisted for three years, because a dishonest person asked me for money, big money, left me without visa and ran away .
I entered like a princess and went out like a beggar, all this because a bastard took advantage of my silly good heart .
After two years I am back home, I'm still missing the place and people and trying to go there again but with no positive outcome .
I rejoined my family also sewing fractures there had been between us in the past .
Actually I am not happy, but at least I'm alive and that's a lot .

In all these years and carrying on with tribulations, I've always thought that my disgraces had been caused by only one person : Osama bin Laden .
If he hadn't done what he did, I was thinking, I would not have even tried to go out .
In reality bin Laden was just a symptom .

The real disease is that Italians are not used to deal with differences .
Multiculturalism is an unknown word to them .
They cannot come to terms with the fact, that despite being raised in this culture, one can be perfectly happy by adding to his/her interests another inclination, like a different religion, or also can come from a mixed background .
In Arab lands instead, they haven't realized that Arabs are just leaving aside their religion, they behave as if they were not Muslims.
They cheat, they lie, they misbehave as if they had no morals .
These were the real causes of my troubles, other than the fact that I was not good in making choices .

Along with the years I've been pondering on the happenings of my life and on how they were related to the world events .
In the same way that, I was telling to myself the tale that bin Laden was responsible for my tribulations, on the other hand, I was listening to political and police experts, sociologists and media persons and understanding that OBL was the root of all evils .
And also, every time there was some story or details around him and his family, the way he started, the way he was thinking or speaking, I was just listening .
I listened to each kind of theory about his life and misfits  and about his capture .
I learned about his background, his evolution (if it can be defined thus), his wives and children, his habits, everything .
When he was captured and killed I spent hours in front of television and computer to know details .
So I was thinking it was finally finished .

But the next day I woke up and realized it was not .
People in my country are still racists and bigots (many not all), Arab Muslims still prefer beer to prayer (many as well, not all) and Obama is still there blabbering about terrorism and launching drones, specially at elections time .

So I realized that the problem was not Osama bin Laden .
He was just a tool in the hands of God, to let us understand we have problems and we must solve them, following His way .

I don't think this book either, will change anything .
And I will not buy it, despite being passionate of police operations .
Also the true name of the author, reminds more of a baguette than a war hero .
And last but not least, Penguin is the editor of books which I used to read when I was at school .
My school memories are not that good .

So here are three good reasons not to read mr. Bissonette, or Mark Owen book .
No easy day is more the story of my life, than that of a chap who killed a coward in a hole .
With due respect .

No comments:

Post a Comment